Midco Says it Should Keep Unsubsidized Competitor Status

Last month, I wrote about the allegation that Midco’s ACAM misclassification cost other broadband providers in Minnesota subsidy support in MN. According to Broadband Breakfast, Midco says it should keep unsubsidized competitor status

Midcontinent Communications says it does in fact provide voice service at some locations challenged by neighboring providers seeking subsidy awards to serve those areas.

Two other Minnesota providers, Arvig and Bevcomm, told the Federal Communications Commission this summer that they lost out on more than $2.8 million in annual support for 3,500 homes and businesses because Midco was incorrectly labeled as providing both broadband and voice service there, making the locations ineligible under program rules.

Seven other providers in the area subsequently told the agency they too should have their awards adjusted upward for the same reason. The trade association for rural ISPs supported them.

But Midco said in a filing, received Friday and posted with redactions Wednesday, that it does actually offer voice service at about 13 percent of the locations cited by Arvig and Bevcomm. It argued against subsidizing fiber overbuilds in its fixed wireless area.

This entry was posted in Funding, MN, Policy, Vendors and tagged by Ann Treacy. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ann Treacy

Librarian who follows rural broadband in MN and good uses of new technology (blandinonbroadband.org), hosts a radio show on MN music (mostlyminnesota.com), supports people experiencing homelessness in Minnesota (elimstrongtowershelters.org) and helps with social justice issues through Women’s March MN.

Leave a Reply