How much is broadband worth? Depends who you ask.
Two recent surveys show vastly different results. Some surveys say $70 monthly while others say $10 monthly.
Check out your county ranking
Minnesota maps show where fiber is and where it isn’t. See how your county ranks for speeds below:
- How does your MN county rank for broadband gig access?
- How does your MN County rank for access to broadband at 100/20?
MN Broadband Task Force Oct 2022 Notes: BEAD
Minnesota is gearing up for taking advantage of federal funding. The Task Force learned about the process. And Bree Maki is named the Director of the Office of Broadband Development.
PUC Looking at LTD Broadband
The PUC is still looking into whether to revoke LTD Broadband’s ETC designation, which had been required for funding they were disqualified to receive in Minnesota. Here are the latest actions:
- MN Attorney General, MTA and MREA and Taft law chime in on MN PUC’s investigation into LTD Broadband
- LTD Broadband asks MN PUC to hold off on decisions on ETC designation based on other states’ actions
- South Dakota PUC closes the docket on LTD Broadband without giving ETC designation
- Customers in poorer, less white communities getting worse broadband deals
- FCC announces latest RDOF round of winners including AMG Tech Investment in MN
- Rural Communities perspective on national broadband imperative
- What should a broadband consumer-friendly label look like?
- Federal (BEAD) funding requires states, such as MN, to rethink anti-municipal broadband laws
- Workforce Planning Guide: Guidance for BEAD Program Eligible Entities
- Could digital equity help people with disabilities close the workforce gap?
- Educause report finds unreliable broadband is a top stressor
- More than 235 Applications Submitted to “Internet for All” Middle Mile Grant Program
- Who telecommuted during COVID and what does that tell us about future use in Minnesota?
- Telehealth care effective alternative for lowering blood pressure
- Inbound Health, an Allina Health offshoot, offers hospital-at-home services
- Telemedicine associated with 79% reduction in odds of no-show visits
- 37 percent of adults have used telemedicine in the last year
- Verizon expands free Home Internet program to Affordable Connectivity Program recipients
Local Broadband News
Aitkin, Crow Wing, Douglas, Otter Tail, St. Louis, Stearns and Todd counties
ReConnect awards of $759 Million go out – two in Minnesota
Bois Forte Band of Chippewa Receives $20 Million Grant for Broadband
Carver County’s CarverLink Public Fiber Network Broadband Efforts
Dakota County deputies use VR to train for emergencies
Duluth New Tribune endorses Rep Ecklund for his broadband work
MN Elections Broadband Notes: House District 41B candidate Tina Folch connected to broadband
IRRR invests in Mediacom broadband in Hibbing
Business North looks at Broadband champions on the Iron Range (MN): Blandin Foundation, NESC and IRRR
Kandiyohi, Stearns, Renville and Swift Counties
TDS deploying fiber to 3,700 properties in Kandiyohi, Stearns, Renville and Swift Counties
Midco and Land O’Lakes bring better broadband to Madelia
Ransomware attack thwarted but affects 60,000 Arvig subscribers in MN
Launch Minnesota Awards Over $1M in Innovation Grants to Startups
Nobles County invests $4 million in broadband with local and ARPA funds
Pipestone County is working with Hometown Fiber on better broadband plan
Ramsey County hosts Digital Inclusion Leadership Summit
Red Wing Ignite will be awarded $4 million for local entrepreneurship and innovation (Olmsted County)
Senator Klobuchar speaks to mayors in southern MN about broadband (Lyon, Jackson, Martin & Faribault counties)
Upcoming Events, Opportunities and Resources
- OPPORTUNITIES: Vacancies in State Boards, Councils and Committees
- Nov 17: MN Broadband Task Force Meeting (Hybrid)
- Dec 5: MN Broadband Task Force Meeting (Hybrid)
- Dec 19: MN Broadband Task Force Meeting (Hybrid)