Great job opportunity for the right person – just be sure to let me know finish fun projects…
GIS and Data Visualization Researcher — Minneapolis, MN
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance seeks a GIS and Data Visualization Researcher to support ILSR’s Community Broadband Networks Initiative. We are looking for candidates that have a passion for policy and visualizing data. We work on a wide range of issues including universal Internet access, network neutrality, and municipal broadband. We strongly value a diverse workforce and are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. ILSR promotes an environment free of discrimination and harassment and our Minneapolis office is located in a welcoming neighborhood.
Position includes employer-paid health plan, retirement match, generous vacation, a laptop for work use, and a dynamic workforce of dedicated and friendly policy wonks trying to make the world a better place. Salary will likely be between $31,000 and $35,000 in the first year with opportunities for yearly advancement.
Application materials due: Friday, June 7, 2019.
- Create informative maps using public databases
- Compile statistics related to Internet access
- Work creatively with the Community Broadband Networks Team to develop visual resources to educate policymakers and activists on issues around Internet access
- Do ongoing research for longer reports and projects
- Occasional projects for other initiatives as needed
- Strong writing, research, and communications skills
- Proficiency with statistics and GIS applications, experience cleaning data
- Background knowledge of public policy and/or economics (preferred, but not required)
- Creative – graphics, videos, audio, maps, etc.
- Ability to work independently and juggle multiple tasks
- Enthusiasm for policy work to improve Internet access for everyone
- Experience using Python or R is a plus
To apply: Please use the subject line “Mapping and Data Research Application” when sending your materials to email@example.com. Include a cover letter, resume, and example of a map or data visualization product. Applications are due Friday, June 7, 2019 but we will begin to review applicant materials before the deadline. Feel free to apply after that date – if you are incredible, we may create another position. Never hurts to try. Please do.