This afternoon I got to spend time with folks in Hibbing to hear about how they are building greater interest and great use of broadband. It was great to hear about the projects and hear how the projects have allowed people to connect with parts of their community that hadn’t been part of their regular lives previously. Broadband connects people online and off!
- Neo Connect – Diana Cruse
- They will do the feasibility and be prepared to turn it into a MN state grant application.
- The cost is $93,000
- There are 13 communities involved in the feasibility study all in the Iron Range.
- Kick off meeting is tomorrow.
Hibbing schols has a 1-to-1 program
- We were able to increase public wifi.
- Going to look at places with wifi and see if we can expand wif for public at certain times. We can broadcast that info – so people can go to the college (for example) as opposed to McDonald’s.
- We are getting mobile hotspots for library so that folks can check them out. We’re going to test and map based on vendors.
Online marketing for small businesses
- 7 bus owners working on e-marketing – starting with a contest
- We will be measuring results – are they making more money?
Technology Career Fair – November 7
- Invite HS students to learn about tech jobs
- Expecting 300 students
Have speakers lined up
- Social Media marketing
PCs for People
- They will deliver 53 computers on Aug 16
- Computers will go to everyone from kids to seniors and ABE students.
- Compudyne will offer tech support.
Hey – what about a technology fair for adults?