OPPORTUNITY: Hubbard County promotes MN Line Extension Program funding

I know I’ve already shared this when other counties have promoted the opportunity but it’s a good reminder for everyone that the opportunity is available for a recommendation for other counties to share the info in local resources, such as the Park Rapids Enterprise

Grants are available to help county residents improve internet service.

Anyone who owns property in Hubbard County and meets the criteria for being unserved or underserved may apply for the Broadband Line Extension Program, including seasonal residents.

An unserved location is defined as a location that does not have a wired broadband service of at least 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. …

The State Legislature has allocated $15 million to the program and the maximum grant for a property is $25,000. The application window is open now, with the first grant awards announced in May.

They help define areas with greater need…

“If you look at a broadband map from 2022, there is a swath around Lake Belle Taine and around the Akeley area that is underserved, but part of that is in the Paul Bunyan State Forest so there’s really nobody there,” Cadwell said. “There’s also a big chunk of underserved along Hwy. 34 and Hwy. 64 from Akeley to Walker with quite a few people there.

And instructions…

Individuals complete an application through DEED for grants to offset the cost of extending service to their home or business location.

Each person should enter their own address where service is not available. The form also has a signature box for the person completing the form, affirming the information provided.

According to a news release from DEED, broadband providers will then decide how to respond in the reverse auction to serve multiple addresses under this program, or possibly submit a Border-to-Border Broadband Grant application to build out the area under a larger project.

To access the Broadband Line Extension Connection program, visit mn.gov/deed/programs-services/broadband/extension.

Submitting an application does not guarantee an extension of service will be given.

For more information or to request a paper application form, call the Office of Broadband Development at 651-259-7610 or email deed.broadband@state.mn.us.

This entry was posted in Funding, MN, Opportunities and tagged by Ann Treacy. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ann Treacy

Librarian who follows rural broadband in MN and good uses of new technology (blandinonbroadband.org), hosts a radio show on MN music (mostlyminnesota.com), supports people experiencing homelessness in Minnesota (elimstrongtowershelters.org) and helps with social justice issues through Women’s March MN.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s