(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Wabasha County: still stalled at 66 percent access
Wabasha County has been stalled at 66 percent access since 2018 percent. They benefited from a state grant a few years ago. And will hopefully benefit from the most recent round of grants.
Wabasha County will benefit from a MN State Grant awarded in 2021:
- Nuvera Communications, Inc. – Goodhue West FTTP – GRANT $532,232 This last mile project will serve 148 unserved and two underserved locations in Goodhue, Zumbrota, Minneola, and Belle Creek townships in Goodhue County and Chester Township in Wabasha County.
Projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Wabasha is $4,194,423; broadband is one possible use.
Wbasha County has the opportunity to invest in broadband with federal funding. That would help them reach ubiquitous broadband. They are a red code community.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||66.67||66.31||66.31||66.17||61.7|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||78.33||77.96||77.61||74.35||83.59|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- 2016 – NEW ULM TELECOM, INC. MAZEPPA – GRANT: $ 317,761
- Find more articles on broadband in Wabasha County (http://tinyurl.com/gpllcg8)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 69 (down 6)
- Has worked with Blandin: no
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 15.87
- Districts: CD 2
House: 21A, 21B
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)