(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Marshall County: incremental improvements fueled by MN grants
Marshall County has seen consistent, incremental improvements in broadband coverage, and they have benefited grants almost every year grants were available. That trend has continued this year.
County will benefit from a MN State Grant awarded in 2021:
- Garden Valley Technologies – Northwest Thief River Falls and Euclid – GRANT $1,640,722 This middle and last mile project will serve 104 unserved and 22 underserved locations in portions of Marshall and Polk counties.
Projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Benton is $7,930,170; broadband is one possible use.
Marshall has engaged providers. They have a history of consistent improvement. If they have an opportunity to invest federal funding into broadband; they are code yellow.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||77.31||71.6||53.08||48.2||9.2|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||78.36||85.3||56.11||50.84||33.49|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- 2017 – Wikstrom Telephone – Wiktel NW MN Broadband – GRANT $1,307,785
- 2016 – GARDEN VALLEY TELEPHONE COMPANY RURAL THIEF RIVER FALLS EAST – GRANT: $2,027,035
- 2016 – WIKSTROM TELEPHONE COMPANY (WITH BEAMCO, INC.) RURAL ALVARADO – GRANT: $43,481
- 2016 – WIKSTROM TELEPHONE COMPANY WIKTEL NW MN – GRANT: $950,823
- 2014 – Wikstrom Telephone, Kittson, Marshall, Roseau Broadband Extension – Award $425,000
- Wikstrom Telephone – Wiktel NW MN Broadband Project – GRANT $1,151,526
- Find more articles on broadband in Marshall County (http://tinyurl.com/zamfwj3)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 46 (up 15)
- Has worked with Blandin: no
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 2.04
- Districts: CD 7
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)