(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Jackson County: coverage stalled at 69 percent
Jackson County has been stalled for as long as we’ve been tracking. They benefited from an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant in 2010. They benefited from a Border to Border grant in 2015.
Projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Jackson is $1,909,571; broadband is one possible use.
Jackson may see an influx of funding in the future. This could jumpstart them back into being broadband leaders. For now, however, they remain at code red.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||68.84||68.84||68.84||68.79||68.9|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||69.86||70.05||70.42||68.83||68.9|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- In 2010, Southwest Minnesota Broadband Services (SMBS) received ARRA funds to deploy fiber to the home in Jackson and other counties. Through SMBS, Jackson County was also part of the Blandin Broadband Communities initiative in 2015-2016
- 2015 – MVTV Wireless Middle Mile – Grant award: $808,080
- Find more articles on broadband in Jackson County. (http://tinyurl.com/h3vyqx9)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 65 (down 7)
- Has worked with Blandin: yes
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yea
- Household density: 5.52
- Districts: CD 1
Senate: 22 & 23
House: 22B, 23A
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)