(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Goodhue County: still holding onto haves and have-nots
Red Wing (in Goodhue County) is known for its impressive FTTH and broadband promotion and use. BUT outside of Red Wing, the county is lagging and has been for a while.
They did get some state grants in 2021. Goodhue County will benefit from a few MN State Grants awarded in 2021:
- Nuvera Communications, Inc. – Goodhue Welch FTTP – GRANT $340,790 This last mile project south of Welch will serve 100 unserved and 15 underserved locations in Goodhue County.
- Nuvera Communications, Inc. – Goodhue West FTTP – GRANT $532,232 – This last mile project will serve 148 unserved and two underserved locations in Goodhue, Zumbrota, Minneola, and Belle Creek townships in Goodhue County and Chester Township in Wabasha County.
They are in line for possible funding in the future. Projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Goodhue is $8,987,358; broadband is one possible use.
They have been lagging too long, especially given the tech focus in part of the county; that is why they are now code red. But some of the 2021 grants have been completed and federal funding is possible. Their progress may seem much better after the next round of mapping.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||76.09||75.15||71.84||55.99||60.33|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||81.66||83.9||79.44||77.1||87.46|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- 2017 – Midco (Midcontinent Communications) – Wanamingo – GRANT $768,600
- 2017 – New Ulm Telecom, Inc. – White Rock Rural East FTTP – GRANT $411,704
- 2016 – NEW ULM TELECOM, INC. GOODHUE-BELLECHESTER – GRANT: $ 332,328
- 2015 – New Ulm Telecom Goodhue Fiber Project – Grant award: $115,934
- BEVCOMM (Pine Island Telephone Company) – NE Pine Island Fiber Project Phase I – GRANT $222,222
- Find more articles on broadband in Goodhue County. (http://tinyurl.com/z3jwte4)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 48 (down 2 places)
- Has worked with Blandin: yes
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 23.57
- Districts: CD 2
Senate: 21, 58
House: 21A, 21B, 58B
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)