As the need for better broadband everywhere becomes more evident every day, are you – as an elected official, government staff or concerned citizen – wondering how to get your community or county on the right path to fixing the problem? Would you like a better understanding of how to organize your area, select the right technology, attract the right project partners and obtain the necessary project, including grants, funding? The Blandin Broadband Leadership Webinar Series is for you.
The second of ten webinars over the next five weeks is April 2 at 9 a.m. CDT. Join Bernadine Joselyn, Blandin’s Director of Public Policy and Engagement, Rich Sve, Lake County Commissioner, Mark Erickson, citizen volunteer from south central Minnesota and Betsy Olivanti from Minnesota’s Iron Range as they share their expertise in helping to create and spread a shared broadband vision in their area.
- Bernadine will discuss the importance of vision in creating and reaching policy goals here in Minnesota and across the world. She will demonstrate how important words can be in spurring world-class broadband or accepting lesser choices.
- As a Lake County commissioner, Rich has seen the value of setting a high standard for broadband deployment and the benefits that achieving the vision has brought to the rugged wilderness of his area. Widespread acceptance of the vision allowed the community to stay the course in spite of many challenges to the project.
- Mark Erickson will describe how collaboration among ten small cities allowed RS Fiber Cooperative to form and build fiber to the home in two counties and provide high-speed, fiber-fed wireless services across very rural farm country.
- Betsy Olivanti has helped to lead a cross-Iron Range effort involving two large scale feasibility studies stretching from Hibbing to Ely. An ad hoc grass-roots group of community activists has worked to build elected leader support at all levels – township, city, county and legislative leaders – moving broadband to the top of the region’s policy agenda.
Please Click here to complete the week one pre-webinar survey. Your responses will help inform the presentations and kick-off the Q&A.
– The Broadband Development Process
– Worksheets (webinars 1 & 2)
– Community Broadband Infrastructure and Services Assessment Tool
Join us by clicking here: https://zoom.us/j/829313397 Pre-registration is not required.
For information about the webinar series: https://blandinfoundation.org/programs/expanding-opportunity/broadband/blandin-community-broadband-program-webinar-series/