Scandia subordinate service district authorized for broadband service (HF1657) introduced in MN House

On the surface this is a bill about Scandia – one of the few places in the Twin Cities and certainly in Washington County without broadband. On a broader level, it’s a creative way for a community to provide services (such as broadband) to parts of their community and to only charge the users of that service – through a Subordinate Service Districts. You can learn more about them on the MN Legislature site.

Brief notes and handouts from the meeting:

Scandia – Washington County is 98 percent served. Scandia residents make up most of the remaining 2 percent. The city has looked at options. We surveyed user and it’s one of our major users. FTTH is estimated at $13 million. The residents will have to pay for a portion of this cost.

If we bond we have to charge everyone and that wouldn’t be fair to those who have access already. So we want to create a subordinate service

25 percent of homeowners need to sign on to establish the

Move to general register.

This entry was posted in Conferences, MN, Policy by Ann Treacy. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ann Treacy

I have a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science. I have been interested or involved in providing access to information through the Internet since 1994, when I worked for Minnesota’s first Internet service provider. I am pleased to be a part of the Blandin on Broadband Team. I also work with MN Coalition on Government Information, Minnesota Rural Partners, and the American Society for Information Science and Technology.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s