Senator Klobuchar points out rural areas need broadband and everyone needs rural areas

Wisconsin State Farmer reports on a recent rural summit by highlighting comments from Senator Klobuchar…

In describing the importance of rural communities, Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) pointed out that about 60 million Americans live in rural areas, which is equivalent to 20 percent of the U. S. population. However, the other 80 percent of the nation’s population relies on that 20 percent for their food, energy and “so much of what they need to survive day to day.”

Giving the example of a doctor in a rural area who has to go to a McDonald’s parking lot to see his x-rays, Klobuchar said, “That just isn’t right.”

This entry was posted in Conferences, MN, Policy, Rural by Ann Treacy. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ann Treacy

I have a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science. I have been interested or involved in providing access to information through the Internet since 1994, when I worked for Minnesota’s first Internet service provider. I am pleased to be a part of the Blandin on Broadband Team. I also work with MN Coalition on Government Information, Minnesota Rural Partners, and the American Society for Information Science and Technology.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s