(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Todd County: on bottom 10 list for broadband
Todd County ranks 85 for broadband access and 83 for digital equity out of 87 counties. They have hovered between 47-49 percent coverage to broadband of 100 Mbps down and 20 up since 2020. There is a slight dip in access this year but it is within a margin of error and may simply reflect a more granular look at access. They have 6702 households without access to broadband at that speed. Estimates indicate that it will cost $63.3 million to get to ubiquitous broadband in the county.
|County||Housing Unit Density||Number of Housing Units||100/20 Mbps||houses unserved||Cost to close the gap|
County will benefit from ReConnect funding through Upsala Cooperative Telephone Association in Morrison, Stearns and Todd counties.
Working with the Blandin Foundation, Todd County has been focused on better broadband for a long time. They work hard but still rank at the bottom, demonstrating that even the hardest working counties need an engaged provider. That missing piece leaves them at code red, despite ongoing efforts, such as the broadband summit they cohosted with Wadena last spring (2022).
|100/20 (2026 goal)||47.52||49.93||49.12||38.68||17.58||2.86|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||74.14||77.01||53.73||71.91||67.96||46.01|
Todd County ranks 83 out of 87 for digital equity. (See full Digital Equity Profile)
Todd County ranks 86 out of 87 for computer ownership. 84.2 percent of homes have a computer of device as compared to statewide ownership of 95.5 percent.
- 2017 – WCTA (West Central Telephone Association) – Northern Todd County – GRANT $902,695
- 2014 – Arvig (Mainstreet Communications LLC), Sauk Lake area $
- 2019: WCTA (West Central Telephone Association) – Rural Staples Phase I Project – GRANT $555,355
- MN State Grants awarded in 2021: Arvig (Tekstar Communications, Inc.) – Lake Osakis, Sauk Lake & Smith Lake Project – GRANT $486,458 This middle and last mile project will upgrade approximately 230 unserved and 39 underserved locations in Todd and Douglas counties.
- Sytek Communications – Morrison/Todd/Stearns County FTTP Project – GRANT $1,048,668 This last mile project will bring service to 130 locations in Southwest Morrison, Southeastern Todd and Northeastern Stearns counties.
- Find more articles on broadband in Todd County (http://tinyurl.com/gl47tgq)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 85 (down 3)
- Has worked with Blandin: yes
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 13
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)