(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Pennington County: Still on top 10 list
Pennington County ranks 6 for broadband access and 35 for digital equity out of 87 counties. They have almost ubiquitous coverage with 99.4 percent coverage to broadband of 100 Mbps down and 20 up. They have 40 households without access to broadband at that speed. Estimates indicate that it will cost $370,000 to get to ubiquitous broadband in the county.
|County||Housing Unit Density||Number of Housing Units||100/20 Mbps||houses unserved||Cost to close the gap|
In 2018, Pennington went from 9 percent access to 90 percent with the help of state (border to border) and federal loan (USDA to Garden Valley). They have had steady improvement ever since, which is why they earn a green code.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||99.4||98.19||96.95||96.18||90.75||9.63|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||99.4||99.37||98.53||97.21||91.78||91.78|
Pennington County ranks 35 out of 87 for digital equity. (See full Digital Equity Profile)
Pennington County ranks 28 out of 87 for computer ownership. 92.2 percent of homes have a computer of device as compared to statewide ownership of 95.5 percent.
- 2017 – Sjoberg’s Inc. – NW MN Rural Broadband – GRANT $307,088
- 2016 – CENTURYLINK THIEF RIVER MIDDLE MILE – GRANT: $1,324,400
- 2016 – GARDEN VALLEY TELEPHONE COMPANY RURAL THIEF RIVER FALLS EAST – GRANT: $2,027,035
- 2019: Wikstrom Telephone – Wiktel NW MN Broadband Project – GRANT $1,151,526
- Find more articles on Pennington County https://blandinonbroadband.org/?s=pennington&submit=Search
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 6 (up 4)
- Has worked with Blandin: yes
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 10.7
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)