The Institute for Local Self Reliance is looking for a Communications Director…
ILSR is looking for an experienced communications professional to join our team as Communications Director. We’re looking for someone near one of our three home offices in Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, Minn.; or Portland, Maine but are open to candidates located remotely.
- Develop and drive bold media strategies that garner earned media, advance ILSR’s policy goals, and highlight its expertise and thought-leadership, including pitching ILSR’s research and subject-matter experts to journalists and producers (30% of time)
- Develop and execute the communications and media components of an organizational strategic plan, including identifying the best frame to communicate our mission, vision, and values (10%)
- Harmonize ILSR’s written output (including reports, articles, podcasts, and newsletters) across its different initiatives, including by reviewing major written products and leveraging these products to advance ILSR’s broader message and brand (10%)
- Manage a small communications team (10%)
- Oversee ILSR’s web presence to maximize engagement with ILSR’s content (10%)
- Develop and oversee execution of social media campaigns across all platforms, telling the story of ILSR’s work through engaging graphics, video, and other mediums (15%)
- Collaborate with ILSR’s Development team on the Annual Report and occasional fundraising campaigns (5%)
- Occasionally represent ILSR at meetings and events. (5%)
- Administrative tasks (5%)
- Some travel may be required …
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter addressed to John Farrell and Stacy Mitchell, résumé, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should be no longer than 400 words, and include mention of how you learned about the position. The writing samples should be no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF. The subject line of the email should say “Application for Communications Director.” We will begin reviewing applications on January 24, 2022. Check ILSR’s website for updated information.