Progressive Farmer reports on the state of broadband on farms based on a survey of 2000 farmers by the United Soybean Board. I’ve compiled the statistics they report into bullet points:
- 60 percent of farmers say they don’t have enough internet connectivity to run their businesses
- 59 percent of farmers that participated in the study said they want to incorporate more data into their operations
- 78 percent of farmers don’t have a choice in internet service providers
- 40 percent of farmers have a fixed internet connection, while others rely on satellite connections.
- More than 90 percent access the internet on their smartphones, which they say is the most reliable.
Why do they want broadband?
- 37 percent wanted to increase their use of data to make better decisions
- 19 percent want to use it to improve their efficiency
- 10 percent cited cost savings