Minnesota is top 10 in State Technology & Science Index – but slipped from number 8

It’s good news but our ranking is going the wrong way. So cautiously good news. Minnesota ranks number 8 on the STSI ranking. Here’s more on the STSI…

The State Technology and Science Index (STSI) endeavors to benchmark states on their science and technology capabilities and broader commercialization ecosystems that contribute to firm expansion, high-skills job creation, and broad economic growth. It aims to capture a state’s innovation pipeline. The index looks ahead, assessing the foundation on which future growth will build and focusing attention on the elements of a knowledge economy that will help states adapt to economic change.

 

And what they say about Minnesota…

Minnesota drops one spot to end up eighth on the 2018 STSI. After a strong performance in 2016, Minnesota’s score decreased by 6.47 points to 63.11. The state dropped two places on the RDI to land at 21st. Minnesota also ranks 21st on the RCI in this edition of the STSI, a five-rank drop from 2016. Minnesota increased one rank on the HCI to fourth, while the state dropped to seventh from fourth on the TSW sub-index due to decreases in the concentration of computer, engineering, and science-related occupations. Minnesota dropped three ranks to 18th on the TCD.

The state has been focusing on creating a workforce to support the growing high-tech sector.  The statewide College Occupational Scholarship Pilot Program for STEM-related degrees is one such program, and in conjunction, Minnesota has built eight IT Center of Excellence facilities to focus resources on education and internship programs. These eight centers provide a pathway for entering the high-tech workforce, with an emphasis on cybersecurity, expanding the high-tech workforce through diversity recruitment, and providing K-12 grades with a tech-related curriculum.23

Minnesota is also making efforts to expand access to broadband internet. Currently, Minnesota has 69 percent of households with broadband internet, ranking 19th in the nation. One estimate puts a $1.4 billion price on the infrastructure needed to connect the remaining 31 percent of households in the state.24 If Minnesota can provide statewide high-speed internet access, this could generate longterm economic benefits by connecting its population to opportunity through modern infrastructure development. By providing the necessary education, workforce, and infrastructure as the knowledge economy develops, Minnesota should be competitive in the long run.

 

And as you can see broadband lifts up dips in rankings in other areas.

More info another highlight, the College Occupational Scholarship Pilot Program…

Minnesota started its College Occupational Scholarship Pilot Program in 2016. A college graduate from Minnesota’s class of 2016 had an average of $31,915 in student debt. The scholarship covers four semesters at any community college for students pursuing STEM degrees. Minnesota ranks No. 4 (HCI) and No. 7 (TSW), and by making active efforts to reduce the cost of education, the state has more potential to improve. The cost reductions will only help those who are pursuing STEM degrees, which means that graduates should enjoy a wage premium if they land related employment.74 The focus on STEM degrees should add to the percentage of recent science and engineering graduates, who currently make up 16.07 percent of Minnesota’s recent B.A. graduates.

 

This entry was posted in MN, Research by Ann Treacy. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ann Treacy

I have a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science. I have been interested or involved in providing access to information through the Internet since 1994, when I worked for Minnesota’s first Internet service provider. I am pleased to be a part of the Blandin on Broadband Team. I also work with MN Coalition on Government Information, Minnesota Rural Partners, and the American Society for Information Science and Technology.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s