SHLB (Schools, Health & Libraries Coalition) has created a document that outlines the important of broadband in anchor institutions, especially schools and libraries. It’s a tool that community leaders (and anchor institutions advocates) can use to help promote better access.
Here’s a glimpse at their purpose…
Why is ensuring high-capacity broadband for CAIs so vitally important? Our future could go in one of two directions: our society could be controlled by the digitally fortunate who have the technological know-how and high-capacity broadband access to master the information economy; or all Americans, enabled by high-capacity broadband access, could develop the Internet-based skills to launch their own businesses, conduct their own research, and follow their own path, competing, collaborating, and sharing information across all cultures and interest groups.
And the Table of Contents…
- High-Capacity Broadband is the Foundation of 21st Century Learning and Education.
- New Education Paradigms Need High-Capacity Broadband
- Connected Schools Create a Modern Workforce
- Libraries Create Digital Creative Commons and Makerspaces
- Broadband Enables Libraries to Offer Virtual Field Trips
- High-Capacity Broadband Allows Patients to Benefit from Remote Healthcare.
- Electronic Medical Records Save Lives and Reduce Inefficiencies
- Broadband Connects Rural Schools to Telemedicine
- High-Speed Broadband in Community Anchor Institutions Offers a Wide Range of Community Benefits.
- CAI Broadband is Essential for Economic Development.
- Broadband Elevates Civic Engagement
- Community Anchors Promote Digital Equity.