As my colleague Bernadine Joselyn says, broadband makes everything better. And the now it’s being used to unite people across the US to demonstrate the power of our communities in a COVID-19 aware, non-weather dependent way that is open to anyone with broadband to cyber march on Washington. Here are the details…
- The Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington will be the largest digital gathering of poor, dispossessed and impacted people, faith leaders, and people of conscience on June 20, 2020.
- The increasing urgency of a broad movement led by the poor and most impacted is more apparent every day. Now is the time to organize towards collective action to enact a moral agenda for the nation. As our ranks grow in the coming months due to COVID-19 and the ongoing crisis of poverty, building a platform for the plight, fight, and insight of the poor is even more urgent
- We are marshalling our collective voices to demonstrate the power of our communities. We demand that both major political parties address the interlocking injustices of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism by implementing our Moral Agenda.
- This 2 hour program will be broadcast on Saturday, June 20th at 10:00am EST and 6:00pm EST and again on Sunday, June 21st at 6:00pm EST. Visit June2020.org to tune in.
- The Mass Poor People’s Assembly & Moral March on Washington is going digital! We will gather from all 50 U.S. states and territories, and from across the world.
- We are gathering on June 20, 2020 to dramatize the pain and prophetic leadership of the poor and build power to enact our demands.
- We are waking the nation to the interlocking injustices facing 140 million poor and low-income people, 43% of the nation.
- But it’s not enough just to be awake. It’s not the waking, it’s the rising. On June 20, 2020, we rise together!
- If the rejected millions—the poor without health insurance, without living wages, without clean water, without voting protections—unite, we can move the moral and political imagination of this country and revive the heart of our democracy!
- The Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival is made up of people of all backgrounds, we are Black, Brown, White, Native, and Asian; we are old and young; we are Christian, Sikh, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim; we are people of faith and not of faith; we are people of all sexual orientations and gender identities; we are led by poor people and we are a cross-class movement; we are people of all abilities; and we live across this nation, from Alabama to Alaska, from Maine to California to Mississippi.
- We will gather online on June 20, 2020 from across the country and world.
- We will launch a robust accessibility campaign to ensure those of us most affected by poverty and its interlocking injustices are able to participate fully.
- To begin, go to www.june2020.org to let us know you will join us on June 20, 2020.
- Spread the word in your networks and social media.
- Get connected to your state’s coordinating committee.