(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Dodge County: Stalled at 77 percent coverage but seeing some action
Dodge County has held steady at about 75 percentage coverage to 100/20 Mbps broadband since 2018.
MidCo is extending fiber to parts of Dodge County. In August, City of Dodge Center was awarded $3,142,747 for broadband improvement from the MN Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) from the Small Cities Coronavirus Community Development Block Grant Program. Also projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Dodge is $4,060,020; broadband is one possible use.
Dodge County will benefit from 2 MN State Grants awarded in 2021:
- KMTelecom – Rock Dell Northwest Fiber Build – GRANT $385,173 This last mile project will serve approximately 125 unserved locations in the rural Ashland and Vernon townships in Dodge County and Salem Township in Olmsted County. In a funding partnership with the State of Minnesota, KMTelecom will improve unserved levels to 1 Gbps up and 1 Gbps down, exceeding the 2022 and 2026 state speed goals and enabling rural customers to have adequate online access to education, healthcare and work. This network will also allow the farming community to increase their productivity and have access to the latest farming technologies.
- KMTelecom – Rock Dell Southwest Fiber Build – GRANT $404,709 This last mile project will serve approximately 96 unserved households, 70 farms and five unserved businesses in rural Vernon Township in Dodge County and Sargeant Township in Mower County.
With an influx of funding and enough interest in broadband to apply for the MN Small Cities Grant, Dodge might be setting themselves up for improvement and that is why they get a yellow code.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||80.62||77.37||77.08||74.59||94.9|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||84.86||84.02||82.78||76.4||99.37|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- 2017 – KMTelecom – Rural Kasson Fiber Build – GRANT $606,108
- 2016 – KMTELECOM RURAL MANTORVILLE – GRANT: $764,663
- Find more articles on broadband in Dodge County. (http://tinyurl.com/znpmlfr)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 41 (up 2 places)
- Has worked with Blandin: no
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: yes
- Household density: 18.09
- Districts: CD 1 / 21, 24, 25 & 27
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)