(See Blandin Foundation interactive map)
Cook County: stalled with pretty good coverage
Cook County has had almost 95 percent broadband coverage at speeds of 100/20 Mbps since we started tracking progress, thanks to a federal ARRA funding in 2010. Cook County has been involved with Blandin programs that promote broadband use but stilt they need to push to get the last 5.5 percent covered.
Cook County has received positive attention from main street media during the pandemic as a place with few COVID cases and broadband enough to telework. Very encouraging to anyone looking to relocated. Also they have projected allocation of American Recovery Project ARP funds in Cook is $1,059,515; broadband is one possible use. And AT&T has built a FirstNet Tower.
That activity might spur them to act toward ubiquitous broadband and that’s why they get a green code.
|100/20 (2026 goal)||94.5||94.5||94.5||94.5||94.46|
|25/3 (2022 goal)||94.5||94.5||94.5||94.5||94.5|
|County||Households with computer||…with desktop or laptop||…with ONLY smartphone||…with a tablet et al|
|State of MN||93.6%||80.6%||7.7%||63.8%|
- 2010: Cook County formed a partnership with Arrowhead Electric Cooperative, which applied for and was awarded over $16 million in federal stimulus grants and low interest loans to build a fiber-to-the-home broadband network throughout Cook County.
- In addition, Cook County awarded Arrowhead Cooperative a $4 million grant from the 1% sales tax fund.
- Find more articles on broadband in Cook County. (http://tinyurl.com/hgbzlt7)
- 100/20 Mbps ranking: 16 (down 2 place)
- Has worked with Blandin: yes
- Has received a MN Broadband grant: no
- Household density: 1.41
- Districts: CD 8 / 03
- Find your reps
I am doing the annual look at broadband in each county – based on maps from the Office of Broadband Development and news gathered from the last year. I’m looking at progress toward the 2022 (25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up) and 2026 (100 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up) and will code each:
- Red (yikes)
- Yellow (warning)
- Green (good shape)