Latest news from AT&T…
AT&T* is proud to have the nation’s best and also fastest wireless network,1 as well as the largest network in North America.2 From 2017-2019, we invested more than $300 million in our wireless network in Minnesota, including more than $175 million in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. From 2010 to 2019, AT&T invested nearly $1.2 billion in our Minnesota network. These investments expand coverage and improve connectivity in more communities.
That investment has increased reliability, coverage and overall performance for residents and businesses, which is essential for connecting our customers with family, friends and colleagues – no matter the distance. It’s also improved critical communications services for Minnesota’s first responders using the FirstNet network.
Today, our 4G LTE network covers more than 330 million people.3 That’s more than 2.61 million square miles and over 99% of all Americans.4
“Now more than ever, we know that our continued investment in Minnesota is vital to keeping people connected,” said Paul Weirtz, President, AT&T Minnesota. “One of AT&T’s core values is to Be There when people need us. That’s why we’re committed to investing in our network and keeping our customers connected when and where they need it most, especially during these challenging times.”
In 2019, we made nearly 950 network enhancements across Minnesota, including new cell sites, additional network capacity, network upgrades and small cells. Expanding our network in the state has given AT&T the most wireless coverage in Minnesota.
More details about our wireless coverage in Minnesota, and anywhere in the U.S., can be found on the AT&T Coverage Viewer. For updates on the AT&T wireless network, please visit the AT&T network news page.
Building the Future of Wireless Connectivity, Today
5G is the future of wireless technology and is poised to jumpstart the next wave of unforeseen mobile innovation. Minnesota customers are already experiencing the power of 5G in cities like Duluth, St. Cloud and Le Sueur County, and we’re committed to bringing next-generation 5G coverage to more communities across the state as we build toward nationwide coverage this year.
We deliver the 5G experience to both consumers and businesses by deploying two types of 5G technology:
- 5G over sub-6 spectrum is expected to enable faster responses over broader distances on new devices and is now available in 355 markets.
- 5G+ delivers ultra-fast speeds and response times, capable of 1+ Gbps, using 5G technology and new millimeter wave spectrum, unlocking unprecedented experiences in iconic destinations and key venues. It’s ideal for businesses, universities, hospitals and sports venues and is currently deployed in parts of 35 cities.
To learn more about AT&T 5G, visit our AT&T 5G site.
FirstNet: Transforming Public Safety Communications
We’re honored to work with the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority) to build and manage FirstNet – the only nationwide, high-speed broadband communications platform dedicated to and purpose-built for America’s first responders and the extended public safety community. And we take our responsibility to deliver FirstNet seriously.
Building upon our current and planned investments in Minnesota, we continue to extend the reach, and increase the coverage, capacity and capabilities of the FirstNet network:
- Purpose-built network enhancements – Across Minnesota, we’ve boosted the network with high-quality Band 14 spectrum in communities such as Minneapolis, Rochester, Duluth and St. Cloud. Band 14 is nationwide, high-quality spectrum set aside by the government specifically for FirstNet. We look at Band 14 as public safety’s VIP lane: in an emergency, this band – or lane – can be cleared and locked just for FirstNet subscribers. In addition, since the beginning of the FirstNet network expansion, we’ve launched a new FirstNet cell site in Clearwater County.
- Reaching rural Minnesota – FirstNet is built for every first responder in the country – career or volunteer; federal, tribal, state or local; urban, suburban or rural. That’s why we’re collaborating with rural network providers to help connect remote parts of America and build out additional FirstNet LTE coverage in Minnesota.
- Public safety-specific advanced capabilities – FirstNet is providing Minnesota public safety with dedicated access when they need it, as well as an entire communication ecosystem with unique benefits like mission-centric devices, certified applications, always-onpriority and preemption and high-quality Band 14 spectrum. These advanced capabilities enable FirstNet to perform faster than any commercial network5 and bring its subscribers the unthrottled connectivity they need.
- Unparalleled emergency support – Minnesota agencies on FirstNet also have 24/7 access to a nationwide fleet of 76 deployable network assets. These assets can either be deployed for planned events or called upon in emergencies at no additional charge to help first responders stay connected and operate faster, safer and more effectively when lives are on the line. FirstNet Response Operations – led by a group of former first responders – guides the deployment of the FirstNet deployable assets based on the needs of public safety.
- Free Smartphones for Life for Public Safety Agencies – We have a responsibility to public safety unlike any other wireless carrier. That’s why Minnesota agencies spanning law enforcement, fire, EMS, healthcare, hospital emergency departments, emergency management and 911 operations on FirstNet can stay up-to-date with smartphones for life at no additional cost.6 This means first responders across agencies of all sizes will have affordable access to their
The FirstNet network expansion across Minnesota is being done with direct feedback from state and public safety officials. This helps ensure FirstNet meets the short- and long-term needs of the public safety community.
This is all made possible by our talented, dedicated AT&T team members who are committed to being there and are the driving force behind our efforts to expand wireless connectivity both in Minnesota and across the country. That’s why we believe in investing in our employees and workforce. In 2019, Fortune and Great Place to Work named us one of the Best Big Companies to Work For.