Learn how fiber and wireless technologies can play complementary roles in delivering broadband services to meet the needs of rural residents and business customers. The capabilities of both infrastructures are increasing rapidly. Increase your understanding of what will work, technically and financially, in your area.
Notes: All Things Fiber and Wireless – Carl Meyerhoefer, Mitch Koep, Mark Erickson
– Our world is changing. We will soon be moving from having many wireless devices in our homes to smart homes. Calix’s device offers customers the choice between an Amazon home and a Google home.
– “The wifi experience determines customer satisfaction.” If customers are having an issue, they will look to the service provider for answers, even when the problem is with their third party device.
– To combat customer dissatisfaction, service providers will build fiber out further, which is very costly.
– Wireless connection costs less than fiber, can be built faster, and is evolving quickly. However, the speeds are often much slower.
– To have the strongest wireless connection, an external antenna on customer homes is required.