The White House releases a report on broadband…
This report outlines a vision for how the Federal Government can increase broadband access and actions that Agencies are taking to increase private-sector investment in broadband. Previous attempts to expand broadband connectivity have made progress and provided valuable lessons that guide this Initiative. The report’s recommendations are grouped into three categories: streamlining Federal permitting processes to speed broadband deployment, leveraging Federal assets to lower the cost of broadband buildouts, and maximizing the impact of Federal funding.
Here are the actions they highlight in the report:
- Launch and Effectively Execute $600 million in New Federal Investment in Rural Broadband, Using Strategies to Spur Private-Sector Capital and Maximize the Value of Taxpayer Dollars.
- Leverage the Department of the Interior (DOI) Towers for Communications Use.
- Provide Tools for Expedited Access to Federal Assets in Priority Markets.
- Create One-Stop for Broadband Permitting Information.
- Revise Common Application Form and Quarterly Metrics for Permit Requests.