The FCC has announced members the members of the new Broadband Deployment Advisory Committee (BDAC) and will be holding their inaugural meeting on Friday April 21 (10 am EST). The meeting with be streamed online at www.fcc.gov/live. The list of members includes many broadband providers, a few government folks, some professors and some community organizations. (You can get the complete list here.)
I think the list of working groups gives the best glimpse at the potential of the Committee…
In addition, the Chairman has identified five working groups that will assist the BDAC in carrying out its work:
- Model Code for Municipalities.—Douglas Dimitroff of the New York State Wireless Association will serve as Chair of this working group, and the Honorable Sam Liccardo, Mayor of San Jose, California, will serve as Vice Chair.
- Model Code for States.—Kelly McGriff of Southern Light will serve as Chair of this working group, and the Honorable Karen Charles Peterson, Commissioner, Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable, for the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners will serve as Vice Chair.
- Competitive Access to Broadband Infrastructure.—Ken Simon of Crown Castle will serve as Chair of this working group, and Brent Skorup of the Mercatus Center at George Mason University will serve as Vice Chair.
- Removing State and Local Regulatory Barriers.—Robert DeBroux of TDS Telecom will serve as Chair of this working group, and Kim Keenan of the Multicultural Media, Telecom and Internet Council will serve as Vice Chair.
- Streamlining Federal Siting.—Jonathan Adelstein of the Wireless Infrastructure Association will serve as Chair of this working group, and Valerie Fast Horse of the Coeur d’Alene Tribe will serve as Vice Chair.
It will be interesting to see if the “Model Code” groups are focused on creating model code to “remove state and local regulatory barriers” or whether those groups will focus on the needs of municipalities and states. Perhaps the first meeting will give further indication…
The BDAC will hold its first meeting on Friday, April 21, 2017, beginning at 10:00 am, in the Commission Meeting Room at FCC Headquarters, located at 445 12th Street, SW, Room TW-C305, Washington, DC 20554. Notice of this meeting will be published in the Federal Register. … The BDAC meeting is open to the public. The FCC will accommodate as many attendees as possible; however, admittance will be limited to seating availability. The Commission will also provide audio and/or video coverage of the meeting over the Internet from the FCC’s web page at www.fcc.gov/live.